Updated: Jan 13
Do you ever feel like you go to bed tired and wake up tired? Do you feel like you aren’t getting enough sleep because you’re just too busy and need to find the time to get things done? Many people find like there isn’t enough time in a day to get things done so they cut out sleep in order to be productive. Little do they know, cutting out sleep can be harmful to our bodies and our minds. With a lack of sleep, it can become difficult to remain focused and concentrate, create issues with our mood, physical health issues like high blood pressure and weakened immune system, issues with judgement and decision making, and so on. Getting enough sleep and being well rested plays a large role in our daily lives and yet some people tend to neglect its importance. We live in a society where being overworked is glamorized and seen as “the grind” and the “constant hustle”. Some people say, “sleep is for the weak” and “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” but working hard and being productive is definitely important but it should never come at the cost of your physical and mental health. After all, you need to take care of yourself in order to be healthy, happy and successful.
Here are a few tips to use to help with getting a restful sleep:
1. Make sure to invest in a good mattress, cozy blanket, and a good pillow. We ultimately get the best sleep when we’re feeling comfy!
2. Practice a relaxing night-time routine before going to bed. This could mean reading, meditating, or listening to soft music. This can include your hair or skincare routine as well.
3. Avoid using your phone or watching tv before falling asleep and turn it off at lease 1 hour before winding down.
4. Exercise regularly, at least 2-3 hours before going to bed so your body can adequately "cool down."
5. Avoid drinking anything with caffeine before bed. (Coffee, soda, tea).
6. Try to avoid napping during the day as this can cause you to stay awake later than you normally would.
7. Try and take a hot shower or bath to try and relax.
8. Aim to keep the same sleep schedule each day. Falling asleep and waking up at different times each day can confuse the body and make it more difficult to have a restful sleep.
Hopefully these tips work for you as a start when seeking restful sleep each night. Hope you give these a try!