Let’s talk about holistic well-being. Holistic health is how you feel as a whole. There are five different aspects of holistic health. These aspects include your body, mind, spirit, social and emotional wellness. It is often discussed what a person can do for their well-being physically and mentally, but there are other aspects that are sometimes forgotten. Looking at a person’s health and wellness from a holistic lens is important because it addresses the cause of the problem rather than just the symptoms of the problem. It is a great way to empower people to take charge of their wellness and find long term solutions that work for them.
“Mindset, habits, and routines are the building blocks for success toward your wellness goals.” -Robyn Conely Downs. Many of us forget that we are in control of our lives and have the power to become the best version of ourselves, we just need to take the correct steps to get to where we want to be. Here are some tips to work towards a holistic well-being:
· Get 8 hours of good sleep each night to rest and regenerate your body.
· Eat nutritious meals and incorporate a variety of “whole” foods in your diet.
· Incorporate 30 minutes of physical activity into the day.
· Avoid smoking, limit alcohol and processed food consumption.
· Practice mindfulness and meditation.
· Journal your thoughts.
· Create a self-care plan to help reduce stress and anxiety.
· Seek out therapy when needed. Therapy is an essential part of supporting your emotional and mental health and should be utilized when necessary.
· Make time for social interactions with friends and family.
· Join a class, group, or find a new hobby.
· Be careful who you let in your life and who you share your energy with. Limit interactions with those who bring a toxic energy or cause more stress in your life.
· Practice yoga. Yoga can be for anyone at any level. It has physical benefits but can also help your mind and spirit by reducing stress, anxiety, and depression.
· Practice meditation. Meditating for as little as five minutes can help calm and balance the vibrations in your body.
· Spend time outside in nature.
· Drink lots of water and eat nutritious meals.
· Get 8 hours of sleep each night.
· Incorporate physical activity into your day.
· Keep a journal of your thoughts and feelings.
· Talk to someone about your thoughts and feelings and seek therapy when needed.
· Focus on relaxation techniques.
· Practice mindfulness and medication.
Finding ways to incorporate holistic wellness into your lifestyle may seem overwhelming and hard, and in fact, sometimes it is hard to make changes. Focusing on small goals and using overlapping strategies (for example, 8 hours of sleep is good for both physical and mental health) can help you take more control and ownership over your lifestyle. Start simple and work towards bigger goals… all steps in the right directions will take you forward!