Updated: Jan 13
Having some anxiety is a natural part of life, especially in stressful situations. You might feel anxious when it comes to taking a test, giving a presentation, or meeting new people. In many cases, a small amount of anxiety every so often can be a good thing as it can keep you aware of your surroundings and potential dangers.
When you have anxiety every day to the point where it interferes with your daily functioning and activities, this is when people often seek out help from a doctor or therapist. Taking medications or seeing a therapist are both important when it comes to dealing with anxiety, but there are also a lot of natural ways to help. Exercising, ensuring you get a good sleep, and your diet all play a large role in helping calm anxiety. Sometimes anxiety can be so overwhelming, but it’s nice to know that there are certain things people can do at home and in their daily lives that can help alleviate the symptoms. Focusing on your diet is an important one. People who deal with anxiety should remember these couple things when it comes to their diet:
· Low blood sugar, poor hydration, use of alcohol, caffeine and smoking can create or mimic symptoms of anxiety.
· It’s important to work towards having a well-balanced diet to help with anxiety. Avoiding processed foods and foods high in sugar help the body avoid what we call a “sugar high” and a “sugar crash”. These highs and lows often mimic the symptoms of anxiety. A well-balanced diet includes fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and healthy fats.
Changing your diet can seem like an easy concept but it’s important to be consistent to really reap the benefits. Here are 7 dietary changes you should make to naturally calm anxiety:
1. Cut back on sugar. Too much sugar can cause your blood sugar to spike and crash, causing you to feel irritable.
2. Reduce caffeine. Caffeine can cause you to feel jittery and heighten your anxiety symptoms. Instead, try a chamomile or green tea.
3. Get more probiotics. Food like sauerkraut, kimchi, and pickles can help relieve anxiety.
4. Avoid gluten. Gluten sensitivities are linked to certain mental health issues.
5. Enjoy more mood-boosting foods. Enjoy things like raw cacao, blueberries, and avocados. These foods help lift your mood.
6. Eat more Omega-3s. Enjoy more wild caught salmon- it can help calm anxiety symptoms.
7. Enjoy foods rich in B vitamins. Foods like avocados, almonds, and pasture-raised meats help stabilize your mood.
Hopefully these tips can help you or someone you know naturally calm anxiety. Reach out to a trained clinician at www.theravaultllc.com to speak to a therapist.
Unlock your success with TheraVault!